The refrigerated dairy aisles of the grocery store are full of convenient, tasty, healthy foods-whether you're looking for thirst-quenching drinks, terrific meals and accompaniments or nutritious snacks.
Here are some ideas for nutritious anytime snacks:
• Cheese Kabob-Alternate slices of apples and cheddar cheese on skewers.
• Tropical Smoothie-Blend orange juice, frozen strawberries and vanilla yogurt.
• Morning Wake-up-Mix cup of skim milk with teaspoon of instant coffee and sweetened cocoa.
• Granola Delight-Layer granola and fresh fruit with favorite yogurt flavor.
• Ultimate Easy Snack-Keep the fridge full of individually packaged yogurts, jello, cheese sticks, vegetable dips and more for anytime, anywhere snacking.
While any time of year can be a great time to visit the Cool Aisles of the store, June is officially Dairy Month, sponsored by the National Frozen & Refrigerated Foods Association (NFRA). That means you can find special prices and promotions on many tasty cool favorites.
Here is a breakfast, lunch or dinner entrée that's easy to make, with key ingredients from the dairy aisle:
Vegetable Cheddar Quiche
1 cup chopped red, green or yellow bell peppers
3/4 cup sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 cup refrigerated egg substitute
1 cup refrigerated non-dairy creamer
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 oz shredded Cheddar Cheese
Heat 10" skillet; spray generously with nonstick cooking spray; sauté peppers, mushrooms and onions until tender-crisp. Combine egg substitute, creamer, salt and pepper; pour into skillet, cover and cook over medium-low heat until set, approx. 8-10 minutes. Sprinkle quiche with cheese and replace cover until cheese is melted. Remove from heat and let set for two minutes. Serves 4.